Monday, April 7, 2008

Cannot take ownership of VM image

I ran in to this problem when updating VMWorkstation.

You must stop all virtual machines (not suspend) before applying the VM Workstation update. Failure to do so will cause loss of ownership of the VM. If this happens to you, you need to update the .lck file for each vm that was not shut down.

Here's how:

Open VMWorkstation

Click File >> Open >> <select the image you want opened> >> Click Open

If this image was suspended before the update, you will get a message box about taking ownership, just click cancel.

In Explorer, navigate to the directory of the image with the issue. Ex: W2k3R2

Open the sub directory W2k3R2.vmx.lck

Rename the <filename>.lck file in this directory to <filename>.lck1 notice the "1"

Go back to VM Workstation

Click File >> Open >> <select the image you want opened> >> Click Open

You will now be able to start the virtual image and shut it down properly to allow for the VM Workstation upgrade. The <filename>.lck1 file should have been renamed by VM Workstation to <filename>.lck. If your still getting prompted to "Take Ownership", repeat the steps again.

Repeat the steps above for each image you have had suspended. It will not hurt images that were properly shut down, if you rename the .lck file and try to open it in vm workstation.

22 comments:

Slizzle said...

Great tip thanks

Sergei said...

This worked for me.

Anonymous said...

My physical host crashed with a VM running, leaving the mchine in a state where I couldn't take ownership because it was already being used.

This solved the problem. Thanks man.

Hy said...

Worked for me as well after my system crashed while the VM was still running. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Worked for me, you saved me 3 hours of work re-installing a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine... Thank You

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. I thought I had lost all my work on the VM. With your tip I could get it all back. Awesome man.

Ray Proffitt said...

Yo Tony, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Awesome - thanks

Anonymous said...

Great, Thaks.

Anonymous said...

Worked for me after a power outage shutdown the VM unexpectedly.

Vasanth said...

Great tip. It worked very well.

Anonymous said...

thaks!!! worked for me after a power loss.

Noli said...

Thank you. Worked like a charm.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. Lost power with the VM running and needed this to get back into the VM.

IsmaDosil said...

Genious!!! you saved my life!!!

Corruption said...

You are my hero!!! Thank you!

Jeremiah said...

Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

locked out VM following a network wide windows update, unlock worked a treat, thanks a lot.

Ik ben Ivan said...

Thanx, works great!

Anonymous said...

You are the Man!!!! Thanks for the blog post, saved my access to my vm work access after my laptop didn't go to sleep mode correctly.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

It works! my vm version is 9. Thanks!